Saturday 13 September 2014

Lesser Whitethroat close up

This morning I decided to get up early to go to the reserve via the coastal path. I had aimed to get there for around 8am but this didn't quite work out as there were lots of birds to check through on the way. These included 20+ Chiffchaff, a Willow Warbler, six Blackcap, one Whinchat, two Sedge Warblers and three Whitethroat. Overhead, there was a constant passage of Swallow totaling c100+ birds. I decided to cycle past the reserve a little way to where I had found two Lesser Whitethroat the previous day. Sure enough they were still there giving views down to a couple of metres. I was able to get some really good feather detail from some close up digiscoping. This species is definitely a contender for being my favorite warbler. I love the contrast of the whitethroat and darker eye mask which can give the impression of a grey shrike!

Lesser Whitethroat
On to the British Steel Hide, an hour later then I had planned to arrive, I quickly found three Curlew Sandpipers and a male Ruff. Two Whimbrel and 11 Bar-tailed Godwit were amongst the Curlew.

Curlew Sandpiper and Dunlin
Curlew Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment