Saturday 30 August 2014

Black Terns

With strong south westerlies yesterday I said to myself, "there must be Black Terns somewhere out on the estuary." This morning I made an early start down to the wetland centre via the coast path. During my first scan of the estuary, I picked out two small terns flying into a strong headwind. Black Terns! I quickly wipped my scope out of my bag and soon I was having the best views I've ever had of Black Tern, two juveniles in this case.

Black Terns

Along the beach were six Wheatear, and in the bushes were eight Reed Bunting and a single Whitethroat.

On the the centre, and I saw my first Spotted Redshank since being here. I once made the mistake of calling spotshank based solely on the colour of the upper parts, and was embarrassed in a packed hide when it popped its head out only to show a very Redshank like beak! I made the same mistake today, however when this one popped its head out I was proved right.

Spotted Redshank
At the mouth of the North Dock Channel there was an impressive gathering of 168 Common Gulls roosting at high tide - hopefully I'll get Ring-billed Gull here sometime during the year! A Common Sandpiper was also present, so was the Little Gull on Delta Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment