Friday 17 April 2015

Egyptian Goose and GS Cuckoo

An Egyptian Goose turned up on the Lagoon on Wednesday, and after a failed attempt to see it during my lunch break, I had another look at the end of the day and found it right in front of the Observatory.

During my breeding bird survey, I heard the first five Sedge Warblers of the year, singing around the header pond and Eastern Scrapes. The first House Martin also flew over with c.15+ Sand Martin and c.40+ Swallow.

Egyptian Goose
After work on Thursday, I went to see the Great Spotted Cuckoo that had been found just south of the Brecon Beacons. It didn't seem very promising on arrival, passing half a dozen birders leaving the site having failed to see it, and being told that it had flown off two hours ago. A small group of us started scanning the hills and after about 15 minutes I picked it up on a fence line just under a mile away. It hopped along the fence line for about 20 minutes, being constantly mobbed by a few Meadow Pipits, and flew off to the right and out of view giving some nice if a little distant flight views.

Great Spotted Cuckoo

No comments:

Post a Comment