Tuesday 3 February 2015

First Bonaparte's Gull for Carmarthenshire!

The tide had already fallen a long way out by the time I got into work, so I wasn't expecting much from the bird count. I counted the Lapwing, Godwits and Wigeon, and then decided to have another scan through the Lapwing. A lone gull was sitting in the middle of them which I hadn't noticed while first counting. Black beak, pink legs - Bonaparte's Gull!!! A proper mega for the area and a first for the county! I took a quick record shot and then looked through the scope hoping for it to flap it's wings so I could see its underwing. At the time I was shaking and had to keep looking at it to convince my self that it was indeed a Bonaparte's! It's hard to judge time when you've found a rarity, but after what felt like five or ten minutes, it took flight heading straight over the hide and high to the north over some pylons. I got good views of the underwing to confirm the identification and put the news straight out. Hopefully it will return, but I'm somewhat doubtful.

Bonaparte's Gull

2 comments:

  1. That will give your PWC score a nice 12 point boost! Great find and can't help feeling you will have a few more big scorers this year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry - it was very exciting! I do hope so. Good luck for your patch as well.

      Delete